How to Choose a Roofing Contractor and a Damage Restoration Company after Storm Damage
Blog Summary: SERVPRO of Ennis/Red Oak advises homeowners about what to do when a storm or severe weather damages the roof.
Storm damage in Corsicana, TX, can involve many different types of property damage, including damage to the roof and the accompanying water damage. Like its sister cities of Ennis and Red Oak, Corsicana sees its fair share of severe weather. The thunderstorms that roll through the area bring heavy rain, hail, high winds, and an occasional Texas twister. This severe weather often causes roof damage and water intrusion.
Signs of Storm Damage to the Roof
When severe weather rumbles through the region, homeowners should look for the following signs that may indicate roof damage:
- dislodged and missing shingles
- visible granule loss on the shingles
- visible evidence of water intrusion in the attic or on the ceiling and floor under the attic
- loose debris on the roof and in the yard, including broken limbs, fallen trees, yard furniture, and debris from the neighbor’s yard
- clogged or broken gutters and downspouts
What to Do When Storms Cause Water Damage
When it becomes obvious that the severe weather has damaged the roof and caused a water intrusion, immediately contact a property damage restoration company and a roofing contractor. While waiting for these teams to arrive, take the following steps to protect the home and belongings.
- Move furniture, personal belongings, electrical devices, and other valuables to a safe location. If an item cannot be moved, it should be covered with a tarp or sheet of plastic.
- Put buckets under areas where water is leaking through the ceiling. Take a sharp pencil, ice pick, or nail and make a small hole in the ceiling to allow water to flow freely out of the ceiling into a container.
- Mop up any water on the floor to prevent slip-and-fall injuries.
- Carefully unplug any electronics or electrical devices that might be damaged or cause electrical shock to humans or pets.
Tips for Choosing a Roofing Contractor
When hiring a roofing contractor, consider the following recommendations from the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety (IBHS) and the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA): “Check for a permanent place of business, telephone number, tax I.D. number and, where required, a business license. Request verification of professional liability insurance. Look for a company with a proven track record; ask for and check client references and request a list of completed projects. Verify whether the contractor is properly licensed or bonded. Insist on a written proposal. The proposal should include complete descriptions of the work and specifications, including approximate start and completion dates and payment procedures. Check to see if the contractor is a member of any regional or national industry associations, such as NRCA. Call your local Better Business Bureau to check for any complaints that have been filed. Have the contractor explain his project supervision and quality control procedures. Carefully read and make sure you understand any roofing warranty offered; watch for provisions that would void the warranty. Remember, price is only one criterion for selecting a roofing contractor. Professionalism and quality workmanship also should weigh heavily on your decision.”
Tips for Choosing a Property Damage Restoration Company
When selecting a property damage restoration company for a water damage disaster, look for the following:
- 24/7 availability and a rapid response time - Every minute of delay allows for the water damage to progress in severity. A delay in emergency tarping can allow hundreds of gallons of water to pour into a home, adding tens of thousands of dollars to the scope of restoration work.
- Licensed, bonded, and insured
- Solid reviews on social media and references
- Locally owned and operated
- Experienced, trained, and certified water damage restoration technicians
- Advanced equipment, cutting-edge water-detection technology, the latest cleaning techniques, EPA-approved cleaning products
- An initial inspection and assessment that results in an outline of the scope of work, a timeline, an estimate of costs, and full documentation, including photos
- A member of a reputable franchise - As a franchisee, the owner must meet credentialing and qualifying standards in the areas of job performance, customer satisfaction, employee training, and adherence to other corporate policies.
Quality of installation is foundational when choosing a roofing contractor; quality of cleanup and restoration is foundational when choosing a property damage restoration company. Unlike roofing services, property damage restoration touches people at the point of crisis. SERVPRO professionals often encounter homeowners who need compassion and encouragement, as well as property damage restoration.